Temple cross round

In the Bristol blitz bombing
of the second world war
The Temple Cross roof was
brought to the floor
Yet when the rubble was cleared
though it’s fate was then sealed
some circular Templar
foundations revealed

What was then a square ruin
had once been quite round
A fact only discovered
when razed to the ground
And now preserved for all time
lest history we shun
Two ruined churches
stand together as one


The Temple church (aka Holy Cross and Temple Cross) ruins stand in the Temple Meads area of Bristol in the UK. Bombed during the Bristol blitz in WWII, it was only when the detritus from the ruined roof and floor was cleared after the war that the foundations of an earlier entirely circular Templar church were revealed. The Templar building, now marked by a ring of shale inside the nave of the present ruin, dates from 1100. The ‘modern’ parish of Holy Cross was built over it between 1300 and 1450.

%d bloggers like this: